Whole Natural Cashew Nuts (Kaju)
- Cashew Nuts also known as “Kaju”- is derived from the Portugese name of the fruit of the cashew tree “Caju”. They originated from Brazil and initially they were cultivated in Brazil and India only. The cashew trees are very high and have irregular trunks and the cashew nuts are attached at the bottom of juicy apples, hanging on the branches. They are kidney shaped seeds and are rich in antioxidants.
- Cashew Nuts are popular throughout the world for their flavor and health benefits. They are very nutritious as they contain carbohydrates, fats, proteins and fibers. As they contain proteins and fibers they help in reducing weight if taken in proportionate amounts even though they contain fats and the dietary fibers specially help in digesting food better. They are rich sources of dietary minerals including copper, manganese, phosphorus, magnesium, thiamin, vitamin B6 and vitamin K. Iron, potassium, zinc and selenium are present in significant content. They have many health benefits like:
- Lowers cholesterol
- Lowers LDL and increases HDL
- Reduces the risk of heart disease
- Helps in avoiding Blood diseases
- Helps to maintain eye health
- Good for hair and skin
- Reduces weight
- Helps in preventing cancer
- Boosts immune system
- Helps in building bones
- Helps in healing wounds
Cashew nuts are used for snacking and cooking and in various sweets, curries and desserts. They can be eaten as roasted or dry and are a versatile addition to any diets. In India they are an important part of celebrations like Diwali and Rakshabandhan– people make sweets like “Kaju ki Katli” or “Kaju ki Barfi” and all and no celebration goes without them.